Thursday, October 10, 2019

Thursday Oct 10 Amarillo TX to Las Cruces NM

This cold front coming down from the Northwest is moving fast. After checking the long term forecasts, I scratched the idea of Midland TX and instead set my sites on Las Cruces NM. The projected temp down there in the morning was ridable (48) instead of 38 in Midland. The motel was great, breakfast was toast and coffee. I put my rainsuit over for warmth, and extra layer underneath and my rain overgloves and heavier BMW gloves. It was 41 degrees when I started just as the sun popped up and it stayed 41 for the next hour or two. Coffee/gas stop in Tucumcari NM and hugged the hot coffee cup to thaw my fingers out.
Over the next hour the temperature got up to 55 deg and the wind was heavy from the north. Lots more wind turbines, and just before Santa Rosa the temperature jumped 15 degrees seemingly instantly, and the wind came from the south. As I turned south on Rt 54 on the east side of the Sandia Mtns, the wind changed from a cold side wind to a warm headwind. I stopped and removed layers since it was getting warm, and another gas stop in Carrizozo.
Quick stop at Sand Dunes National Monument (free with Senior Park Pass) and then the last hour into Las Cruces straight to the Kawasaki shop to talk about the headlight. The service guy was outside and he said I should be able to do it, but it is hard to see what is going on in there. I found a motel around the corner, unloaded, quick shower (I was swaeting with the 88 degree temps in Las Cruces), and then changed the headlight. I had asked the Facebook group about changing the bulb and a few folks had done it without dismantling the plastic cowling, so I slid my phone up inside all the plastic and took a few "selfies" of the headlight and after 15 minutes or so, I had a new headlight installed. Washed up and then around the corner to a Mexican place with $3 pints. Long day with a lot of wind. The little Kawasaki really grunted on those hills but it did it's thing. Tomorrow I have to skim the Mexican border so I don't freeze. Tired tonight.
Odometer beginning of trip = 35820
Odometer beginning of day = 38957
Odometer end of day = 39381
Miles today = 424
Miles on trip to date = 3561
Travel days = 10
Zero days = 2
Average miles per traveling day = 356

No comments:

Post a Comment