Sunday, October 13, 2019

Sunday October 13 - Needles CA to Flagstaff AZ

I looked at what parks I could make it to without freezing and Utah was a bit too cold, but Grand Canyon looked to be the perfect destination today. It was pretty warm when I left Needles and I took a different route back toward Arizona than yesterday coming in. Temperatures were great topping out in the upper 70's today. Again, there was more traffic than I thought, which was ok. Not too much. There are more people living up here in these remote towns than there used to be. My first time through there was 1976 with my buddy Pete on a couple beat bikes. We came through Needles way back and and rode across here at night because it was going to be too hot during the day. We slept at picnic areas back then (poor, dumb and broke) but it was an adventure.
Rt 40 goes right through Needles so it was directly onto Rt 40 from the motel (after some so so coffee).
Nice cool clear day and stopped in Kingman for more coffee and gas. I have been pretty careful with gas since there are stretches with none. I did notice gas in California was over $4 per gallon and tonight in Flagstaff it is above $3 per gallon. I assume CA has high taxes, not sure what's up with AZ. Lowest gas I have seen this trip is $2.15 or so down south.
The turn to Grand Canyon is a little confusing because there are three exits labeled Grand Canyon. Topped off the tank again so I could make it all the way to the park and then back out the east side and to Flagstaff without a stop. Good thing I did because the eastern entrance has not much for services (Indian reservations).
Used the Senior Park Pass ($30 cha-ching) and there were more people than I anticipated for this time of year. But it was a beautiful day and people were in good spirits. I parked the bike and stipped to shorts and a t-shirt (and boots) so I looked like a hiker. Grand Canyon always overwhelms you when you see it. Gigantic and beautiful, especially today with clear sunny weather. Lots of foreign tourists and lots of retired folks. I took lots of group pics for folks which is always appreciated. I took and hour and hiked the Rim Trail a half hour one way and then a half hour plus the other way. Felt good to hike. Back on woth the bike dudus and headed out the east entrance to the park. The landscape was open and beautiful and the sun dropped fast so that by the time I got to Flagstaff, it was dark and cold. Dinner down the street at a pub type place which ad great burgers and good local beer. Good day!

Odometer beginning of trip = 35820
Odometer beginning of day = 40073
Odometer end of day = 40415
Miles today = 342
Miles on trip to date = 4595
Travel days = 13
Zero days = 2
Average miles per traveling day = 353

No comments:

Post a Comment