Sunday, May 2, 2010


Ok, so the blog thing works. We have a little less than 2 weeks to go so I guess it's time to finish the checklist up. Oh yea, guess I gotta put a checklist together.
Dave called and said he slept in his tent and it has plenty of room for the both of us. I have a small single tent so will only take it if I have plenty of room.
I did another run today and it was pretty hot out. Those jacket vents are great. Did 100+ miles and the rearend feels fine. I think I gotta find a tank bag, not so much for the room but convenience.
A billion years ago I did a cross country trip with a friend of mine and we hose-clamped backpacks on sissy bars and it actually worked really well. We camped all but 1 or 2 nights in the 6 or 7 weeks we were gone so we had lots of camping stuff. A couple changes of clothes (wear one, wash one). Of course the ground has gotten much harder since I was young so I think we may be doing more "Serta camping" this trip, but if it's a nice night, good weather, good spot then camping it is.
I figured out a cool trick with google maps. If I get directions and get the little blue line, then search for "museums", I get my route and any museums along the way. Should work for anything. I am going to bring a small netbook so we can tweak the route as we go along. If the weather goes south, we may be able to ride around it.
The nice thing about this trip is my brother and I like to kind of figure it out as we go along. Last summer we did a couple runs in Vermont and just sorta flipped a coin at each intersection and found some great roads we never had been on before (no small feat when you have lived in Vermont for 50+ years).
Dave is bringing a GPS with him and I have an iPhone with a cool app called iWant. I don't think we will get lost (most of the time) and I am sure Daves GPS has coffee cup icons programmed into it.
I tried on Dave's Frogg Toggs and ordered a pair the same size. His rain suit is "eye-rupture" green so I ordered "surface of the sun" orange. We will be seen in bad weather.
My new zoot suit is amazing. I rode to work the other morning and it was 34F when I left. Other than a little leaking around my helmet, I was cozy with the liners in. I don't think we will have to worry too much about cold weather, but we will see.
OK for now. Guess I better start packing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment