Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Enough is enough. Yesterday it was 28 degrees when I left the house. Looks like we had our 2 weeks of summer and it's time to put the snow tires back on. I layered up with the new zoot suit, opened the warm air vents on the beemer (off the oil cooler), snapped the heated grips on high, kicked the garage door open and rolled. Not too bad. I never did get higher boots but this morning I tightened the velcro around the top of my hiking boots and it sealed all the cold air out. The face shield fogged up a bit more than usual but my Nolan helmet lets me crack it open just a smidge to let the cold air (ok really cold air) clean the moisture out. The beemer has an electric windshield so I can tweak it until I get just enough air to keep things clear. This reminds me of riding in driving rain years ago when I had glasses. The windshield, face shield and glasses were all covered with rain drops so I had to find a crack through all three to see the road. The joys of riding in rain. Someday I gotta try that Rain-X stuff and see if it really works.
Anyway, 18 miles later I drop the kickstand at work and I am actually pretty warm. The zip up pant-legs make getting in and out really quick. Worked a couple hours and then back in the suit to ride a few miles to play racquetball (suit off). Back in the suit and back to work (suit off).
Maybe instead of going south we should go north since the cold weather seems to be ok as far as equipment goes.
As usual, got to pack some last minute work stuff in, but all in all I feel like I am in pretty good shape to go. I am sick of writing about equipment and planning and ready to get going. Haven't had a vacation for a year and I think I may be getting a bit crabby at work so, guys at work, I am selflessly taking this vacation not for me, but for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment