Thursday, May 6, 2010

So Dave showed me his Frogg Toggs and I had to order a pair. Today I gave them the acid (rain) test. I rode my Yamaha TW200 to work as I usually do on crappy weather days or muddy road days. The Beemer RT is not exactly the bike of choice on mud season dirt roads (heavy and really hard to pick up out of mudholes). So this morning it was pouring and I was actually excited to see how the rain toggs worked (or not). These is a Road Toad Action Rain Suit and the material looks like thick but soft Tyvek. The pants are long enough to go over my hiking boots and not ride up when I sit on the bike which is usually a problem. They leave small flaps so you can fish your keys out of your jean pockets and here I decided was going to be the problem (hint: it was not). The jacket has a hood that is designed to go under your helmet (clever) but I didn't figure that out until I got home tonight and read the instructions (typical males). Even without this hood, I did not get the usual rain down my neck I did with my earlier jacket. The jacket zips up the front and then snaps over a sealing strip to keep the wind blown rain from pushing through the zipper.
So I noted that my shirt and pants were bone dry when I left and decided I would check what was wet on the other end of the 18 mile ride to work. OK, enough drama. They are amazing. When I stripped off the Toggs at work my shirt was bone dry and I had a small wet patch a couple inches wide at the cuffs of both pantlegs. My socks were a little damp because my hiking boots are short so I gotta work on that. The color was less exiting that I thought but the orange is kinda classy looking. I think they will see Dave in his green Toggs before they see me.
Next thing I need to look into is waterproof gloves. Mine were soaked when I got to work and when I got home.
So being from Vermont, I am used to the norm being adding layers to stay warm, but yesterday it struck me (I am a little slow that way) that it is going to be warm down south. So the first hot rainy day I am going to have to try both the FirstGear jacket and/or the Frogg Toggs. The Toggs may be just the ticket for hot and wet weather. We will see.
Oh the picture. I need to talk to my brother. This is his idea of rain protection. May cut down on his gas mileage..

No comments:

Post a Comment