Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pahrump NV back to the "Real World"

Well all good things have to come to an end and today is the day I have to return the Harley, go to the Las Vegas airport and head home. Nothing like a redeye home to bridge the gap, re-adjust the head, realign the brain. But, we are not giving up that easily. Just enough time to do another desert loop, touch California and then thunder back to Las Vegas in style. Quick Green Mt Coffee Roasters in the room, pack up early and on the bike, no breakfast today. We headed west across nothing to Shoshone CA, which is a gas station and museum and not much else. Wicked wind from the north blew us around and the road was rough, but paved and no potholes. Stopped in Shoshone for gas, chatted with a guy and his wife on an Ultra Classic (Harley) from Pennsylvania who were renting from the same outfit I used, but a 4 day trip. Hannah liked the big comfy back seat on their bike, but has never complained about the seat on out Heritage Softail. Yikes, I am starting to sound like a Harley guy!! Other than Shoshone, there was nothing out here. The bike clatters along like it has for the last week and while I still like my Beemer, I see the attraction. This thing will just sit there thumping along at 65 all day. And it gets 40-45 mpg, which is decent. I do not know how Harley pulled it off, but I would say 80% of the bikes I see out here are Harley-Davidsons.
I cranked it up to 75 on the last patch of 2 laner just to feel the speed. Temperature is perfect, air is dry, no traffic, nothing but mountain and sky forever.
So back into Las Vegas to the car (thanks Westgate hotel). I put my earbuds in and let Google talk me to the motorcycle place with Hannah following. We arrived with 20 minutes to spare (noon checkin for these rental bikes). EagleRider did a great job, and they must go to the same training as Disney folks because I barely had the bike turned off, when they came out to get me checked out. The usual wide eyes at how many miles I put on ("you got your money's worth!"). We did just about 2000 miles in 7 days, which is respectable. We found a little Mexican place and had lunch (overdue). Then found a laundromat, dumped everything in our bags into a jumbo washer and stuffed it with quarters. Dry cycle was quick, I assume because of the dry air. Then we did some poking under Hannah's car to check out a cracked plastic protector which she beaned on some back country park road, and it was fine. She ran me to the airport where I set up shop near an outlet on the floor, and Hannah headed toward Prescott, AZ where she will stay a few days before driving to Albuquerque and then home to Vermont.
Thanks Hannah for a great week and for being a great daughter and a wonderful travelling companion. Maybe when you are old and grey, you will remember blasting across the desert behind you dad on a big Harley. Love you kiddo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment