Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happy St Patrty's Day (NOT!!)

Bret from work very nicely gave me a ride to the airport and the Jet Blue folks are really nice. I got one of the TSA Pre-approved which at first I was humbled by, but it actually means you don't have to take your shoes off. (Nobody wants to see old people take their shoes off!). Very windy taking off and really exciting landing in JFK. Sorta like a stunt plane ride, but bigger plane (believe me, I know). So it was suppose to be a boring flight and then I looked at "the big board" when I got off the plane The words "Cancelled" had taken over the column normally reserved for the happy "On Time" column and scanning the list, sure enough, my flight from JFK to Las Vegas was "Cancelled". Cool! An adventure (in my twisted little mind). So I queue up at the "Just Ask" counter with my angry fellow travelers, or not travelers as it may be. So us Vermonters, or this one at least, are pretty non-plussed by these kinds of things, being beaten senseless by winter, taxes and aging hippies all these years, knowing that the sun will come up tomorrow and we will have another interesting life story to tell the grandchildren someday. My fellow travelers were on the other hand, extremely plussed. Better than a Starksboro dog fight by far!! I could sell tickets. The 5 Jet Blue folks behind the counter were up to the task with skin as thick as iron. It took me 30-40 minutes of standing in line (or defending my position in line) before "Julia" asked how she could help. The Jet Blue computers were, as we spoke, trying to re-route me, or do something for me, as her screen was changing as we spoke. So I told her I would get coffee and come back. I think she thought I was some kind of weirdo for not yelling at her like the rest. An hour later, Jet Blue had called my house (robo call) and told the answering machine and Julia confirmed I was being re-routed to San Francisco late tonight and then flying in the morning to Las Vegas. So it's going to be a looong night, but they do serve beer and meals and there is great people watching for this country bumpkin. Oh yea, and free wifi, so  it will be a long night of working on some interesting code later in San Fransciso (if they also have free wifi). Gotta go re-fill on Starbucks, where they laugh when I ask for "wimpy coffee and not that black tar they usual serve". Good night!! Oh and Happy St Patrick's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment