Sunday, November 24, 2013

Savannah GA to Marianna FL (the long way)

This morning I checked the weather and the way to stay warm and dry was to head straight for the mid- Gulf Coast, so I planned to go diagonally down to Cedar Key. I took my time packing to let the temperature go up a bit and then I took 95 until I got just north of Jacksonville FL and then took a small 2 lane road toward Gainsville. I stopped in Gainsville and re-checked the weather, and it had all changed. The Florida panhandle, which was supposed to be wet, now looked just overcast and warm. So I headed back north toward Tallahassee on a couple small roads and was rewarded with great weather. The panhandle is must more wooded and prettier than everything I had seen so far of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, at least where I had gone. Traffic was very light and the roads were smooth. The Harley was a happy camper all day. There is not much "local" anything and many of the towns have empty storefronts. Chain stores are everywhere. I think this is the natural progression here in rural Florida. I am sure it exists somewhere, but I did not find much of anything. I thought about making it to Pensacola to find a restaurant Bucky had told me about with great airplane memorabilia, but it was 4 more hours so I stopped as the sun dropped in Marianna, and hour or so west of Tallahassee. This afternoon I had clear blue skies and 60 degree temps, so a very pleasant ride. Tomorrow it is calling for a little dampness so I'll see what the weather guys say in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment