Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Taxi's, Planes and a black Harley Davidson

Left the house at 3:00, the usual nervous about flights, baggage, forgetting something, etc, and specks of snow in the headlights, a good sign I am getting off at the right time. Quick stop at work to call the taxi and print boarding passes. Flights all worked, even the Detroit transfer which was 2 terminals on other ends of the airport (OJ Simpson through the airport), and 20 minutes to get there. The luggage held the plane up (I am guessing my luggage) and I arrived in Orlando on time and the big bag with my helmet and bike garb did too. Called the bike rental place for the free ride the guy in LA told me about, but it was a $15 re-reimbursement taxi ride instead. Taxi driver was either new or experienced as he had me type directions into his Android phone and then he proceeded not to follow the subsequent directions. The Road King is big, black but amazingly easy to ride since it sets you so low. You can't tell it weighs 800-something. The only danger is the testosterone rush when you roll on the throttle, and watch the "testoserometer" needle ride , oops, that's the speedometer. I may have to stop for some estrogen infusions somewhere..
I had the iPhone GPS get me out of Orlando and headed to Clermont where my high school roommate Skip offered to put me up for the night (thanks Skip!), but got there early afternoon so decided to ride to the gulf and get my "Harley legs" under me. The 2 laner was pretty unbusy until about 3:30 when people were getting off work, so lots of stop and go and traffic maneuvers, which was quick tutorial on low speed handling of the Road King. This thing is all torque with 6 gears. Heel shifting is new, but optional if you have a strong foot.
  I saw a sign for Pine Island and headed for it. It was a small group of pretty nice houses on a small island at the end of a causeway. So I can say I touched the gulf. I texted Skip that I'd be at his place about 5 and headed back east through the traffic on Rt 50.
Skip gave me the nickel tour of his shop where he restore old mini-cars (King Midgets, look it up). He also lived my earlier dream of working on motorcycles and has seen most everything made. I love people who follow their passions..
His good friend Mel stopped by on his Harley and we went to an Italian place and met another friend Steve (who rides an mid-80's Kawasaki GPS 1100 tricked out to drag race, but also barely street legal. He built it with a good friend in Chicago from a stock GPZ and $18K worth of "custom" stuff. Now he rides it to the drag strip, swaps the rear end for a big slick and wheelie bar and races it. Great guys and enjoyed the evening. It was nice to catch up with Skip after all these years.
  Crashed after a very long day, excited to ride the Harley somewhere tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment