Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Orlando to Macon GA

So my dad's alarm woke me at 3:30 again (I always wake up at 3:30 for some reason), but I rolled over for a couple more hours. Skips son Steve was heading ff to work and Skips was getting up to head off to his teaching job at a local community college. We got coffee, caught up some more, checked the weather which was looking iffy all over. I loaded up the Road King, said good bye and headed north on 27. My plan was to just ride north as far as I could to get north of the rain. I stopped mid-morning for coffee at Mickey D's and met an older guy (late 70's?) who saw me working on my netbook, so i chatted him up. He started talking about working on old computers in the Navy which I had never heard of so was a bit skeptical until he told me he build CP/M computers with S-100 bus' and then I knew he was the real deal. What a blast from the past. He joined the Navy and worked on some tube-tube computers which were room sized. He says they used to sleep in then because they were warm. He built computers after that with parts as a business. We had a great chat and then I got back on the road.
I stayed on 27 until 441 came up and then I stayed on that into Georgia. It was kinda busy until I got north of Gainesville and then it got very remote, like Nebraska remote. It was straight and flat with nothing but trees for a loong time. Up into Georgia I started seeing cotton fields and blueberry field (yes blueberries). There is also a huge logging business in the wilderness near the Okefenokee swamp where they appear to clear cut and then replant pine trees of some kind. Traffic was light and I set the cruise control to 60 and popped in my earbuds.
It did of course rain a few times but I had my Frogg Togg top and bottoms which kept me nice and dry (and warm). Deb lent me her waterproof mitten covers which worked great over a light pair of work gloves and my hands stayed warm and dry. As I got further north and toward he end of the day, the temperature started dropping and the warm mid-70's I had near Orlando turned into upper 40's as I pulled into Dublin, GA, just east of Macon.
So a good day. The Road King and I are pretty well bonded and it is actually pretty comfortable. The Beemer must be a little peeved at me right now, don't say anything to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment