Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tues Aug 14 - Mt Rainier to Seattle

Had a leisurely breakfast in the Paradise Lodge, packed and headed out convoy fashion with me leading (scary thought). I am trying to get this @#$% GPS app to tell me where to turn while I listen to music but still no-go. From a talk we heard the previous night, this park was one of the first ones designed so that all of the roads give the visitor the best views possible and it really rang true today. We went east and then north around the top of the park. There was some road construction but not bad. Traffic was light and we spent a couple hours winding through the park until we popped out the north entrance and back into civilization. Absolutely no cell service or wifi in this park, probably on purpose. There is a long stretch of road way out in the boonies and I saw one sign saying they needed cellular service installed for the local emergency services. These guys are out there. Again, the logging trucks became more dense as we go closer to civilization. Deb got pretty low on fuel but we finally hit a town with gas stations. We headed west until we hit Rt 5 and then north to Seattle on the interstate. I found the BMW shop where I had made an appointment for old grey beard to get new tires, battery, oil and a tuneup before heading back east. This shop is very clean, modern and efficient. I dropped it off and Deb and I found a hotel in the trendy Queen Anne Hill district that was pretty reasonable. We walked up the street to a great bar famous for happy hour and had a great dinner. We then walked (I actually rode the scooter) to the museum where we had been hearing about a glass exhibit. It was amazing and as a bonus, we went up the Space Needle just to cross it off my bucket list.
We went back to the museum to see the outdoor glass exhibit lit up as the light faded off. Pretty spectacular. There are some pretty creative people out there..
The Razor is perfect for getting around a city like this. I had to watch it on the steep hills as the brake gets pretty toasty on my sneakers. Somehow Deb managed to stay pretty far away from me...

No comments:

Post a Comment