Friday, August 24, 2012

Thurs Aug 23 - Fort Collins CO to Rockys then Northeast to Nebraska

I checked NOAA this morning and the weather west and south was turning bad. The only place to go and not get wet was northeast to Nebraska. I wanted to ride back up into Estes Park and down the Peak to Peak highway and the rain wasn't supposed to come in until afternoon here in Colorado so why not. I packed (getting pretty good at this), hung my laundry off the back that didn't dry last night (classy), got coffee and drove south to catch the turn west on Rt 34 up to Estes Park. I lived in Boulder south of here 30+ years ago and used to ride my motorcycle up and down the Peak to Peak, but somehow I missed this canyon run up from Loveland. Big Thompson Canyon was incredible!! A little traffic but I just hold back a long time to get some space between me and the cars ahead and then go for it. Go for it is a relative term when you have a 15 year old beemer ridden by a 56 year old guy. At the the town of Estes Park, I got a spectacular view of the bowl of mountains, but the clouds were already getting thick. I took Rt 7 south down the Peak to Peak Highway and it brought back great memories from all those years ago. Lots of hiking trips with George and others. So more, thicker clouds and I knew I better skedaddle. Down off the mountain through another pretty sweepy canyon, and onto interstate 25 to get north ASAP. I saw even more Skystreams, which makes about 9 or 10 total on this trip, in this area. Who is that dealer?? Turned east just north of Cheyenne and then everything except scrub grass and wind powered water pumpers disappeared. Almost no traffic for the rest of the day and almost no towns. This is when it is real nice having the big tank so I don't have to worry about gas. I have been getting 54-55 MPG again because of the slower speeds this trip. Saw something called Car-Henge which is like Stonehenge but built with cars. Sweet.
I shot some more helmet cam video and made another short movie if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment