Monday, August 27, 2012

Mon Aug 27 - Oswego NY to Home

Slept like a baby and woke at a leisurely 8:00 or so and had a nice long chat with Sandy and Herb over breakfast. It was autopilot all the way home as I have been over this road for the past 27 years with all combinations of old cars (7 hours), kids in diapers (7 hours), kids out of diapers (6 hours), motorcycles (5 hours) and today was more like 7 hours because I stopped at the bike shop I bought the BMW at 15 years ago (they are still there and remembered the stainless steel fasteners I loaded my bike up with (those original ones rusted #$) and I also kept running into road construction which meant walking around waiting for flag people (do not envy those folks, but boy are they tan) and at one point ran 7 miles over chemical laden dirt road. As always hitting Vermont is a big sigh of relief. The signs change, the cars change and everything is cleaner and greener somehow. But I will say this. Our roads are AWFUL compared to all those other states and provinces I have ridden through both on the way out and the way back. There must be a sweet spot between paying taxes for smooth roads and all the suspension work I have had to do on my cars. Grrrr.
I stopped for a couple cold beers to take home and pulled into my garage at around 6pm with the bike smelling like fresh pavement chemicals. It was also a muddy mess from all that wet dirt I had to ride through earlier today. Hannah and Deb were both home and Hannah made a lovely home cooked, healthy supper for us. It is good to be home and I am pleasantly exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment