Friday, August 24, 2012

Fri Aug 24 - Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska,...,Iowa

I rode 400 miles across Nebraska today...
Oh yea, I think I hit a grasshopper...



















Did I miss the memo about how wide and boring Nebraska is? I was expecting, you know, corn and crops and pretty towns with happy children playing, no frolicking, with their perfect parents in white linen clothes and those straw hats, picnic baskets, you know, the whole thing. I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the dry stuff to taper off and all of the above stuff to start. OK, it did get greener FINALLY about 100 miles from the Iowa border, but the rest of northern Nebraska is only a great place if you sell fence, water pumping windmills, or cattle. I took Rt 20 all the way across which gave me a very nice "slice of life" in this part of Nebraska. I will say, when you do hit a town with 500 or more people, it has everything you need. The people I talked to were very friendly and polite. Do not bring up politics as the "Impeach Obama", and worse, are seen here and there.
I find I am playing dodgeball with the weather. I have rain below me, ahead of me and behind me. I need to get the Ouija board out in the morning to figure out where to go next.
Riding this Razor scooter around every night is getting old. People can't figure out what a guy my age is doing riding this around ("lock the doors kids, he looks like a weirdo from Vermont"). I may start getting up in the wee hours to ride it. Jeeze...
I find I am really enjoying the long distance riding on these long straight roads and I don't know why. The beemer is flawless (and turned 70,000 yesterday), and having music is a joy. I am tired at the end of the day but never sore. May have to do this again next year...
Wish I had more to write, but, that's Nebraska...

No comments:

Post a Comment