Tuesday, June 19, 2012

500 Smoking Miles From Rochester MN to Badlands

It peaked at 97 degrees today and everything looks dry. Another day on the interstate (yuk). No rain so that was going for us. What can I say, interstate, gas stops every 170 miles (Jeffs bike has a smaller tank), hydrating the riders, and occasional stops at rest areas. My routine the last day or 2 (or 3) has been hang way back and hold the needle at 80 (actually 75mph according to the GPS') and keep Jeff and Dave just visible. Then crank needle to 85 until I get within a tenth of a mile or so away from them. Repeat and rinse. That way I don't have to speed up and slow down when the traffic gets tight. Dave and Jeff's cruise controls crapped out today for some reason so they were both on manual mode. I also leave tons of space between me and cars ahead and behind so I can look around more and not have to worry about someone slowing down too fast without me noticing.
Minnesota farmland started stretching out to bigger and bigger fields until the corn went from horizon to horizon. We also saw a boatload of wind turbines in Minnesota.
South Dakota starts out green like MN with corn and then gets dryer and what looks like wheat is grown instead of corn. Also cattle grazing on the open plains (fenced in plains that is). South Dakotas biggest crop of course is billboards.
I been getting crap all day for going too slow and wearing my jacket instead of t-shirts like the road-rash poster boys, so the last hour I told the Andretti brother to not wait up for me and go as fast as they want the rest of the way. For the last blissful hour I went 65 on the interstate and then hit a beautiful side road where farmers were cutting hay, birds would fly up from the sides of the road and the views were soft green and brown rolling hills of pasture and wheat. The secondary road only got 50 mph from me (have not seen that seen for 4 days!!) and there was nobody on them. I went back east a bit and rode through a bee swarm which took me by surprise. I stopped up the road and shook any extra bees out (no bites so they must be friendly bees). I headed back west and landed in our town, which is tiny, and couldn't miss our hotel. I found the hotel and the boys had just unpacked. A little laundry and then we are going out for a little dinner followed by a sunset ride.
Beautiful night and no interstates tomorrow (yea!!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment