Thursday, August 19, 2021

2021-08-19-Thursday-Albuquerque NM to Bisbee AZ-431 miles

The hotel was very nice inside the room, clean, attention to detail (toilet paper folded into a little arrow, etc) but it looks like a Soviet gulag outside. I woke up at 5:30, checked the sunrise (6:15) so the plan was to be on the road at sunrise, which I was. No way I was chancing the breakfast at the hotel, so I stopped 30 minutes south of ABQ and got a big cup of coffee and an egg sandwich thingie. 

Easy plan today, take 25 south to Hatch and then a small shortcut road to Deming NM then Rt10 to the turn south on old Rt80, then to Bisbee (aka home). Since I did a big mile day yesterday, and there is not much traffic down here, it was a fairly easy day with my old noise cancelling earbuds playing music all day.

Now Hatch is a "must go back to" town. First it has not one but two muffler men, which I assume is rare. The first guy is holding an RV of some kind and the second guy is holding an ice cream cone. You get the picture.

 These fiberglass guys are all over the US and were created for a muffler shop chain that I assume went out of business and the muffler men all had to find new jobs.

Hatch also is the home of Hatch chilies which pop up on menus a lot down here. There are lots of business selling anything you can think of having to do with chilies.

There also seem to be lots of sculpture folks, like welded sculptures of most anything you can think of. Yup gotta make it back to Hatch when my butt doesn't hurt so much.

I called my brother Dave and he is in Hannibal MO tonight (map below(mixing some interstate and side roads. He did not mention rain so that storm behind him is too slow. He is putting 400+ miles per day in. His bike is made for that. Stay tuned..

The nicest site today was coming into Cochise County on old Rt80. It has rained so much while I was gone that everything is bright green and the sky is blue with lots of big clouds. I did a lap up over the divide just to drink in the green sites that are brown the rest of the year.

It's great to be back home!

Odometer: 7266-6835=431 miles

John's route
Dave route




2 comments:

  1. I like the muffler men, but they ain't got nothin on the Leicester, VT gorilla.

    https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMW5Z0_Gorilla_Holds_Aloft_A_VW_Beetle_Leicester_VT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or the Westford "hand" for that matter...
    https://www.sevendaysvt.com/LiveCulture/archives/2020/07/09/new-short-film-explores-the-backstory-to-westfords-massive-middle-finger

    ReplyDelete