Thursday, August 5, 2021

2021-08-05 Olney IL to Brandenburg KY - 255 miles

 

Temperature was 73 degrees when I started this morning around 7:30. Really bad coffee at the $35 motel so I stopped on the way out of town for a reliable cup. All the old guys were there with the guys at one table and the girls at the other, just like back in high school. Nice folks, mostly retired farmers (crops, corn and soy).

So more of fabulous Rt50 which turns into 150 which becomes 300, then 50 again then 56 then I hit the Ohio River and try to find my brother.

Another great weather day 70's and low 80's and no rain in site. Saw parts of the old Rt 50 again today, much skinnier than the nice wide smooth one I was on today. Not much traffic. I could ride these roads through these small towns for a long time. The best part of the small towns is to watch for signs of the history, what they do for a living now, how are they doing. Many are past their prime. Not many diners left anymore and lots of the same old chain places.

The plan was for me to get to Madison IN, which is the first place on the Ohio River and text my brother, then head up river until we pass each other going opposite ways. But when I got off the bike in Madison, I had a text from him saying he was already in Madison, at the park down on the river. And sure enough, east meets west. He said I just missed a big barge. This town of Madison has a rich history, founded in 1809, steamboat port and home of the first railroad in Indiana (1832). You can tell by the building, this was a bustling town. Now it seems fairly health with lots of shops and coffee places, maybe tourism?

A local guy snapped out picture (my bike pants sure make me look fat!!), and he said it was a fabulous town to live in, after living all over the world. The river is like a big lake, but thousands of miles long.

After catching up and swapping stories, we headed south down the river, got a motel in Brandenburg KY and nice dinner a couple blocks away.

Great to have some company

Odometer:3005-2750=255 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment