Wednesday, August 18, 2021

2021-08-18-Wednesday-Laramie WY to Albuquerque NM-619 miles

 

Well we broke up the act this morning. Packed up and the coffee was bad so we decided to ride to Cheyenne WY, an hour away and have some  real coffee and head out own ways. But first we chatted with a Harley guy who was from Virginia, on the road since June, probably in his 70's. Same stories about amazingly friendly folks all over the country. He was heading to Colorado next to wait out the incoming weather.

We got a pretty early start and it was a bit nippy (lower 60's?). By the time we got to Cheyenne, it had warmed up.. Some jerk pulled in on a Harley (and tats to match) and made some disparaging comfort assessments about our bikes. Oh, well, everybody's different..

Dave is going to try to spend some time on old highway 30 which runs near interstate 80. The interstate is a safe, easy way to go but the old roads are much more interesting.

I was thinking of going south west through the Rockies, but there was some weather there that is parking in the Rockies for a couple days. So bee line down Rt 25. Well the temperature was great, and no rain, and no wind, so I just kept going. Got lost in Denver (yucky 5 lane aggressive traffic with construction going on) but the nice Google lady got it all straightened out. The entire stretch from Fort Collins to south of Denver seems like one huge city now. Yuck.

I hit the New Mexico border and it was still early so I thought I could make it to Las Vegas NM which has hotels (I have stayed there before), but I got to Las Vegas pretty early and decided to stay in Santa Fe, but no hotels available there (???) so check the sunset and decided to go to Albuquerque arriving 45 minutes before the sunset. Well the thing I did not check was the weather app and I got rained on in Santa Fe. I was lazy (bad John) and did not put my booties on thinking it might be a little sprinkle but no, I had to stop again and do it correctly. (bad lazy John). I got into Albuquerque just as the sun set and the hotel was pretty dumpy outside, but ok inside the rooms. Walked across the street to and Appleby's and had a nice chat over dinner at the bar with a guy who puts in grocery stores (2 Albertson stores in ABQ).

Back to the dumpy motel and crash. Maybe home tomorrow night??

Odometer:6835-6216=619 miles

John's Adventure
Dave's Adventure





No comments:

Post a Comment