Monday, July 16, 2018

July 15 - Sunday - Oswego NY to Starksboro VT - 292 miles

I was exhausted last night and after catching up with Herb, Sandy and Tracy, I wobbled off to bed. The fan in the window was perfect for some white noise and also cooled things down a bit. I have been noticing how dry everything is back east here. Brown lawns, brown golf courses, and it sounds like they have had really hot weather, more record breaking stuff.
Good nights sleep and leisurely coffee, then around 9:00 I headed out, my last day of the trip. The Weather report was clouds north of me and south of me so looks like I'll take the tried and true way back home I have been driving for 30 some odd years. Deb was working today until 4 so I had plenty of time to get home, so somewhere after Mexico NY I decided to take a different route and told Google girl to get me to Lake Placid NY, way upstate.
I gotta say, I have not been this way before. She took me over hill and dale, through little towns I had never seen, some run down, but most their own little oasis's. The roads are in pretty nice shape way up here and the "note to self" is, this might be a good area for some day trips later this summer.
I stopped for gas (my last fill up) somewhere near Star Lake (never been there) and the guys inside were all locals having a good conversation about the new "Hangover Medicine" they were selling. We all decided to stop speculating on it's effectiveness and go get hammered and try it tomorrow morning. Fun guys..
As I came into the "Olympics" area of Tupper lake, Lake Placid, etc, the crowds got bigger, but not too bad. It was a beautiful day (fire the weather guy) and everyone was enjoying the Sunday afternoon (by then). Google girl shot me off into some side roads again (been to Lake Placid but never this way) and I ended up in Keene NY and then over the hill to the Champlain Bridge. It's always awesome to cross that bridge back into the arms of the mother state. Especially on a beautiful day like today. This calls for a Goodies Snack Bar stop to get the official "Creemee" (soft ice cream for you foreigners, and the only flavor that SHOULD be sold in the state is Maple. Usually you opt for a small and get plenty, but the woman in front of me had a baby sized that was the size of you fist, so I officially sealed the return home with a baby maple creemee at Goodies.
Autopilot from here, awesome ride in the dappled sunlight the last few miles up our dirt road. Deb was there with a couple cold ones in the fridge, and my old Dog Zorro was still with us (he is a 16 year old lab).
Life is good up here on the hill tonight!!

Odometer = 30231 - 29939 = 292 miles today
30231 - 18289 = 11,942 miles total trip

No comments:

Post a Comment