Thursday, June 28, 2018

June 27 - Weds - Eugene OR to Portland OR - 233 miles

Nice motel last night, caught up on sleep. Lazy morning (ahhhh..) chatting with a Harley guy from New Jersey. He did not know how long he had been on the road or how far he had traveled. He also did not have any real baggage on his bike so I guess everything fit in his panniers. Also no helmet. His  pipes were so loud I could here him a block away starting up at a gas station. Dodge the angry political conversation going on in the lobby (too much Fox News and MSNBC).
So today's goal was getting to the Pacific ocean and riding up Rt 101. Oil was fine, chain was fine, bike running smooth. Rt 126 goes up over the last mountain range, about 60 miles to the ocean. Light traffic, but because I stick to the speed limit (and nobody else does), I had an open road in front of me all day.
Basically a gentle rolling, tree lined, slightly twisty road all the way over. Any towns had bypasses so nor real towns to go though. I stopped for coffee in Florence and a nice guy on a BMW RT (newer than mine for sure) was there so i quizzed him on places to ride. He worked in Lincoln City, OR and was buzzing around. Had a nice long chat and then back up Rt 101. This part of Rt 101 was hanging out over the ocean and cool and breezy. The little bike gets pushed around a bit but not bad. Lots of cannibus places, which has been legal for a year here and the state is making millions on the taxes. I don't partake so no interest here.
There are lots of touristy shops and some little towns that remind me of the coast of Maine (fudge shops, trinket shops, crab lunch (instead of lobster), etc) When I got to Lincoln City, the traffic got busyand I had hoped to get into Portland before the 4-5pm rush hour so skip Cannon Beach today. The road back east was kinda busy, but lots of passing lanes and lots of agriculture. Walnuts and hazelnuts, raspberries, and cherries all over the place. I let the nice Google lady talk me into Beverly's place. It re-routed me ("I found a quicker way.."), I assume based on traffic. Love this technology. She had me riding through all the back streets, 25 mph, nice..
I got to Beverly and Brett's place and immediately got caught up on everything. Walked down the street to the "local place" for dinner.
Back to the house and Beverly and I installed new quieter (much quieter, impressive) fans in her 3-D printer.
Another good nights sleep. Thanks guys for putting me up!!
End of Day = 24,548

No comments:

Post a Comment