Saturday, May 24, 2014

May 24 - Dear Mr Garmin

Dear Mr Garmin,
I am writing to ask about the details of warranty work as well as warn you of what I believe is a defect in your Zumo product. My brother and I ride our motorcycles cross country and have used your fine product for several years. Today, however, something unusual happened. At the end of the day today, my brother, who owns and uses your fine product, stopped to "use the facilities", while I stayed with the bikes. When he returned we found the Zuma gone from his motorcycle and, incredibly, we found it laying on the ground, broken, in front of a concrete wall, in what I can only assume was a case of "Spontaneous Self Destruction". I did not see anyone go near it (really), and must have turned away for an instant (I really did not hear or see anything, really). After discussing this unfortunate incident (which I still have no idea how it happened, really), and in piecing together the days events, we have some theories. It may have started earlier when my brother enabled the "shortest distance" option on your fine product. We had noticed that it sometimes took us a wee bit off the "main roads". My brothers bike is designed for more "off road" type travel while my bike is meant for strictly "on road" riding. Today your fine product suggested we turn onto what at first appeared to be a wonderful smooth paved road, with painted lines, which is certainly within the specifications of my "on road" motorcycle. The road narrowed and the painted lines disappeared, (again, certainly acceptable). The Zuma next suggested a road that while at some time in the past was paved, had since become a sort of hybrid paved/loose sand road. After several miles this turned to all sand/dirt followed by course gravel (< 3 cm) which is definitely not withing the specification of my motorcycle. It was at this point we met 2 gentlemen in the deep woods on this now well washed out, gravel (> 3cm) road who introduced themselves as U.R. Trespassing and U.R. SoDead, (Mr So Dead certainly did not look of Asian descent and I also though it odd they shared the same first 2 initials). When I saw the shirt bearing the GonnaKill U, what I trust is a local trade school specializing in the mechanical sciences, judging from the number of finely crafted firearms these gentlemen seemed to be carrying, I inquired if they belonged to any school sports team, as they looked very muscular, despite the obvious scars. With this, they seemed to hurry off to their cabin, at which point we decided to continue our dubious trip down the sorry roads your fine product had suggested we take. My suspicions about Mr Trespassing and Mr SoDead being athletes was validated when I saw them running behind us, shooting while they ran, obviously training for some sort of biathlon. They waved us on with their fists (in obvious pride at their sport) as we proceeded the many miles down the gravel road, as instructed by your Zuma product.
So I would first ask what the cost to repair the broken Zuma (which I again have no clue how it got broken, really), and would also like to point out that the recommended roads your product sent us on most definitely do not meet the acceptable road specification for at least my motorcycle and I would presume several others. A disclaimer should surely be in order.
  Yours truly (and dusty dirty and tired),
    John and Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment