Friday, September 29, 2017

Mon Sep 25 - Birmingham NY to Home


"There's no place like home, there's no place like home" I repeated as I clicked the gearbox into high gear this morning. It's always nice to come home. The two bug encrusted bikes were both ready to get home, take a bath, get some fresh oil and filters, maybe a few rides and then off to bed for the winter. I can't speak for my brother, but I am ready to do laundry, take a bath, get into those comfy PJ's and go to bed.
Easy ride for me today, Dave had more turns to take. We stayed together going north on Rt 12, which goes to Utica NY where I find my old familiar Rt 365 I have ridden (mostly driven on) for the last 32+ years to my wife's family in Oswego. We split up just south of Utica and agreed that this was a great trip. I get along really well with my brother and have had a great three weeks of bad coffee, bad jokes, actually fairly decent hotels, no close calls or incidents, and wonderful folks everywhere. We both snore, but we both sleep like rocks so it all works.
It was another warm to hot day but it cooled off nicely as I climbed into the Adirondack Mountains. Monday means very little traffic, and a little bit of construction (paving).
Pretty much autopilot all the way. I stopped in Bristol to thank Reed Prescott for saving my dogs life. His son was house-sitting and I gave him the wrong return date for Deb to return from her adventure. Reed's wife figured it out (Thank you Elise!!) and Zorro was saved from drinking from the toilet and starving to death. My bad..
I emptied the bike, threw everything in the washer, took a hot shower, put on clothes I had not seen in three weeks and headed over to Dave B's house to catch up on what I missed while I was gone.
My wonderful wife put four Sip of Sunshine's in the fridge and after one of those, I jumped in bed and went to sleep.
The odometer on the bike read 105742 and was 99499 when I left so 6,243 miles this trip, so average of 283 miles per day. Very relaxed..
Sometime I'll put a big map together to see where-all we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment