Sunday, September 4, 2016

Flying to NM - Airport Day

It take 7 hours (plus the 4 hr layover in NY to watch people from all over the world arrive and fly away again) to fly to NM and about 2 weeks to ride the bike back home. JetBlue did a great job. Last minute packing and checks revealed that Microsoft decided that this morning was a good time to force me to change my remote login passwords, which ironically cannot be done remotely, so a quick drive up to the office to do that. Grrr.
The other ah ha moment was last night when it occurred to me that my bike registration might have run out, but VT DNV to the rescue and I got a temporary registration in about 5 minutes on their website. You might hate government, but a lot of works really well..
I stuffed the usual bag full of all my riding clothes, rain gear, clothes, electronical batteries, charges, cables computer geek stuff, camera stuff (I finally got a small travel tripod) and just before the zipper burst slid in the toothbrush ( in other states they would call it a teeth brush).
Easy flight with a delightful young college sophomore from Check Republic. He is studying Management an as always we contrasted the US with other countries. Like other countries they watch us all the time and we are providing good entertainment this year with our presidential race.
Good people watching in NY and I put a good dent in my book about a guy travelling around the world in 1973 and just in case it wasn't difficult enough, he did it on a Triumph motorcycle. Same message always, things just work themselves out and you met a lot of nice people.
The flight from NY to ABQ was weird. The guy next to me talked to himself (but always politely. A woman had a panic attack on takeoff and they had to give her 3 seats and a blanket to lay down in (she slept the whole flight), and somewhere I kept hearing a cat, which, sure enough, was discovered when we landed. Kinda cute.
Cab from the airport to Jakes place (cabs cost about half what they do in Burlington..) and the driver was a student just graduating from UNM in psychology and moving to Oregon. He said driving the cab 3 nights a week and picking up drunks, helped him think he should work in addiction management. He says there is a new niche around our new addiction to smart phones, Pokeman Go and social media. Might be lucrative!
Jake and two of his other Physics grad students were up at midnight when I got there and we talked for a couple hours about Taylor expansions (they still use them.), programming (two of them write code for theoretical physics experiments and the old guy told tall tales of the good old days writing code with charcoal sticks on cave walls), effects of relativity on GPS signals, and celestial calculations. I was actually pretty awake so I let them go to bed, probably early for these guys. Nice to be around really smart, fired up people.
The bike looks good but I held back starting it at 2am.
I got a text that my credit card was compromised and Deb checked into it and sure enough, they are shutting it off. I have a second one for backup so I'll have to use my good looks for backup.
So they weather looks good today in the 80s and up north (Denver) it looks great this week.
Breakfast out this morning with Jake and a friend.
Life is good..

No comments:

Post a Comment