Friday, September 9, 2016

Coffeyville KS to West Plains MO - Hot and Stormy


With high temperatures and high humidity, there were thunderstorms all over the area last night. When I woke up this morning, the radar showed two storms on either side of me headed north east. I was hoping to go due east, but I would have run right p the backside of one of the storms. So I waited until 10:30 when the last cell went over me, and then headed north east in between the 2 storms. I crossed into Missouri (finally) at around noon and stopped for coffee in Nevada, MO to plan the next step. By then the storm was just finishing up in Joplin MO south of me. I headed south until I got just above the storm and then due east. I might have gotten to the same place if I had just waited back in Coffeyville, but I am here to ride and see as much country as I can. Even the locals are complaining about how hot and humid it is so this is unusual. And it is even worse down on Arkansas and Oklahoma. The next few days should see it cool off a bit.
This part of the country is slowly getting much moister and greener and with a lot more rolling hills, creeks and trees. Most of Kansas was falt and a little green but as you got more east, the trees started in. Missouri seems a lot like Vermont with lots of lush countryside. It seems economically a little depressed and a lot of the old farms have all grown up. There are manufacturing plants here and there and some farming. I started seeing armadillos beside the road, so they must be here along with opossums and huge corn fed raccoons.  Pretty uneventful day all told,
I talked to my brother and it looks like we may meet up in Kentucky tomorrow night. They did the tail of the dragon and stopped at the Wheels Through Times motorcycle museum where the crazy owner guy was riding a motorcycle through the gift shop this morning. That is another great museum if you make it down there. That guy is living out his lifelong passion for sure. So I have the AC on and it's pretty comfy here and tomorrow hopefully it will stop raining by the time I head out. Beemer rolls over 96K tomorrow. My old friend..










Looks like Dick & Dave have been having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment