Thursday, November 5, 2015

Las Cruces NM to Buckeye AZ

Today I had clear cool weather so a good day to get some miles in, all business today! I fell asleep really early and slept right through until 6am. I was on the bike at 6:30 with a temperature about 40, so regular Vermont fall riding duds. The sun was just up and here the morning sun is not as luxurious as the sunsets. Very white and crisp, and with the cooler temperature, everything felt fresh and crisp as well. The cord for the iPod crapped out so I had to find a new one today, but still enough juice for this morning. My wife has great taste in music by the way, since it is her iPod..
Today was a work day, putting in miles, and I had to stay south for the temps (too damn cold up north), so Rt 10 is about it and it was actually a very relaxing, meditative day. I stopped for coffee in Deming and chatted up a retired educator who gave up on Florida and moved to Deming for the weather and people, but was thinking about Baja next to escape the cold of Dec, Jan, Feb in New Mexico. Guess it's all relative.
On to Tucson where I did a "getting lost downtown" tour of the city, which is beautiful with lots of outdoor spaces and bike access all over. I stopped for coffee and just "people watched" and soaked up more sun.
Then west where I saw the airplane "boneyard" just west of Tucson. Someday I'll stop and take the tour, but not today. On to Phoenix and just in time for rush hour. The beemer is air cooled and does not relish sitting around in traffic so the engine got a little hotter than normal, but was fine. Then west with not much idea of how much further I would go. The sun was setting and I saw a sign for then next town being 90 miles away. Quick stop and look at the map and headed back a few exits to find a motel (or travel a couple hours in the dark to a hotel maybe).
Met a guy at the motel who was installing solar trackers, which is what my company makes, so had a nice chat about how quickly solar was coming on-line. These states have so much sun drenched land that is unused, they should dedicate a whole county to solar and export power!
So 400 miles and change today, beemer is running great, giant truck stop next door, so off for some food of some kind. Tomorrow west again?

No comments:

Post a Comment