Sunday, November 8, 2015

El Cajon CA to Globe AZ

I have been half dreading and half looking forward to riding back across nothingness, but ti turned out to fly by. I set the alarm for an hour before sunrise so I could get a good day in. Riding back through what I did last night explains why it seemed so dark. There is not much going on in this part of California which surprises me because i am only 20-30 miles from San Diego. Lots of wilderness left down here. A beautiful day and I put layers on, but soon started shedding them as it warmed up. It got into the 80's today which was perfect. Lots of border patrol action with the tell-tale white trucks parked here and there on sand dunes and overpasses. Like the trip west on Rt 10, I had to stop on Rt 8 at a security check and both times they just asked if I was a US citizen and waved me on. I guess no place to stash anybody on the beemer. The laundry flapping out the back probably convinced them I was too much of a yokel to do anything illegal. So I can ride for hours and hours and not get tired. The indian bead seat helps a lot and I have had it for 10+ years at least. Not sure why all the fish line and week whacker line has not let go by now but best to leave some things alone. Laundry was dry by the time I got to Gila Bend so I stashed it away. Tips for all of you, it's best to have cool undies in good repair if you are going to parade them on the interstate, just sayin..
I saw a lot of something green growing (thanks to irrigation) but will need to research it. Also saw some huuuuge solar projects, flat panel PV and one gigundo trough mirror type that was feeding steam turbines. They certainly have land galore out here so might as well fill it up with solar. Also a lot of wind turbines all over. But not much else..
I have been interested in going on the old Rt 70 back to ABQ and the entry point from this end is a town called Globe. This town was somewhat of a mystery because it actually has hotels in it, but does not appear to be a tourist town. Something going on up there. I caught Rt10 back west just far enough to get Rt 387, 87,287, then Rt 70 to Globe. Miami and Globe are co-joined towns that have very active copper mining going on, as well as other mining, so it is a big hopping town up here. Lots of food places and lots of hotels. So being Sunday night I had my pick. I walked down to a local Mexican place which was packed. Turns out a rodeo had just ended this afternoon and the town was emptying out and people were catching a byte before leaving. It is in the 60's here tonight and again, pitch black after the sun went down at 5pm. Tomorrow I am hoping to get back to ABQ to see my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment