Monday, July 20, 2015

Bowling Green OH to Peoria IL

Wonderful wonderful day. I can't explain it to non-motorcycle folks but my cheeks are sore from smiling all day. It was a perfect temperature and the sky was clear, the corn and soy is growing, the little towns are busy and very little traffic on these little 2 lane roads. I slept like a log after the long day yesterday so did not get going until 8:30 or so this morning. Last night I found Rt 24 which would take me a long ways across the mid west through small towns. I like to find roads that go a long way so I don't have to deal with stopping and checking where I have to turn next. My little brain can just keep one road number in it at once. So Rt 24 it was. And it was a winner. I did some even smaller side roads a few times (not on the map since I don't remember where they were), which is really easy since everything is square. There was a big storm front that would meet me near Peoria (and it did), but the rest of the day was just big puffy clouds or clear sky. Traffic was very light and drivers are really decent. The crops look really healthy compared to the trip I took a couple years ago (3?) when they had drought conditions. Illinois had all the signs of having had floods this year with standing water in several places and "Thank you flood volunteers" signs here and there. I rode for a couple hours and then stopped for breakfast at a local diner. Lots of retired folks (pretty much all guys) catching up. The knee is doing great and I do my standard standup routine every time I hit a small town which helps a lot. Alleve every 6-8 hrs (no heart attack yet). The routine is the same all the way across. Go 55 for 20-30 minutes, then 35 through town (and they do have police checking), then 55, then 35, then 55 then 35.
I saw a lot of wind turbines all the way across and took some excursions to find them. Perfect fit since they can still grow corn and soy underneath them.
I added a few tablespoons of oil this morning to the beemer, which worked really hard yesterday. None required tonight since we took it easier. This bike is perfect for this cross country stuff. Smooth and quiet.
Now the bad news. The little diners are disappearing. It must be either the Subways or the combo gas station / mini-marts that are doing them in. Sad..
I saw a little piece of Rt 66 so it must be around here somewhere.
When I pulled into Peoria, big ugly black cloud banks were in front of me. So a quick stop and radar check and I decided it was time to call it quits. Super 8, hot shower, laundry and a walk, then a nice salad and piece of coconut cream pie. Tomorrow I head north through Iowa and maybe into South Dakota depending on the weather.
384 miles today and all is good here in Peoria..

No comments:

Post a Comment