Thursday, September 11, 2014

Weds Sep 10 - Marion PA to Vernon VT

A big storm is headed east so we decided to get to Vermont before it overtook us in a day or so. The Iowa folks had no options but to ride west until it started raining and then stop and hole up. Weird thing with these retired folks, is they don't really mind. This trip seeing all these relaxed, laid back retired folks has been a bad influence on me. So far everyone thinks I am the older brother, which tells me the stress of work is aging me fast, or the laid back retired life is making my brother younger.
  So a couple more "nowhere to nowhere" roads that were empty and smooth until we clip the lower end of Cayuga Lake. Some vineyards, and a bit better heeled folks. We stopped in Cortland at the Little Guy trailer dealer. These are the trailers we saw being built by the Amish a couple days ago. They are small enough to pull behind a high mileage car (think Prius or diesel Jetta), but are really high quality, sleep 2, stove, sink, TV radio, air conditioning if you want. Nice birch wood interior. Real class rig. They had a ton there so it was a good place to check out all the models. Would be perfect for Dave and Irene's next big adventure.
Then north until we hit Rt 20 which goes east. We quickly realized that this is the Rt 20 that was build in the early 1900's and it goes from Boston to Oregon. It is a federal highway and pokes along beside Rt 90. SSo there is not much traffic on it because the interstate is next to it. And no trucks to mix it up with. And the added bonus of lots of old store fronts, refurbished diners, old gas stations, etc. This would be a real interesting way to go coast to coast. My beemer is ready!!
Speaking of my beemer, it proudly rolled over 80,000 miles (woo hoo!). Still runs like new, my old friend of 17 years. So how do I get to 100,000? Hmmmm. I think I have some ideas.
So we rolled into Dave's garage at 8pm after another lovely day. I did 2694 miles from my house to my house on this trip. Can't wait for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment